Updating my desktop to 8.1-RELEASE from 8.0 was pretty straightforward. I used the following steps
- Made a backup and verified that it can be restored. I cannot stress enough how important that is!
- Using csup I updated my kernel sources, using the following supfile;
*default host=cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org *default base=/var/db *default prefix=/usr *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_8_1_0_RELEASE *default delete use-rel-suffix *default compress src-all
- Updated my kernel configuration. Based on the changes in the GENERIC kernel
from 8.0-RELEASE to 8.1-RELEASE, I changed
options COMPAT_FREEBSD32in my kernel configuration. Additionally, I added
device vlanto my kernel configuration.
make kernelas root from
- Rebooted into single user mode.
/tmpsince these are seperate partitions in my setup. Do not forget to make the root filesystem writeable with
mount -uw /.
mergemaster -i -U.
- Rebooted into the the newly upgraded system.
Because this was a minor version update, I did not rebuild all ports.