This is my variation on the swiss classic. Another dish that is easy to make and doesn’t take up much time. To keep it simple, I’m using raw potatoes. Generally, starchy potatoes (“kruimige aardappels” in Dutch) work best.
- Peel the potatoes
- Grate them on a coarse grater. The starchy moisture will help bind the rösti later, so don’t press it out.
- Mix in some finely chopped vegetables. I’m using a packet of mixed soup vegetables here.
- Heat some cooking oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. The pan should have a lid.
- Put the mixture in the pan. Use a spatula to compress it into a patty. Cook on medium heat. After a couple of minutes, make sure that the patty doesn’t stick to the bottom or sides. Now put the lid on and cook for about 8-10 minutes. The rösti should now stick together.
- With the aid of the lid, flip over the patty. Do this away from the stove, since you can spill some hot oil! Cook this side for 8-10 minutes with the lid closed as well.
- Slide the rösti on a plate, optionally season with salt and pepper.