Roland's homepage

My random knot in the Web

Updating the site generator “pelican” to 3.5.0

After updating the site generator that powers this website, I had to make some adjustments.

Solving warnings

Initially, the new version of pelican produced some warnings that some files could not be found and that their {filename} internal links would not be substituted.

It took me a while to figure this out, but it turned out that my version of the render_math plugin wasn’t working correctly. When I turned this plugin off, the problems disappeared. So I updated it to the newest version from the github pelican-plugins repository.

In the course of this investigation, I also converted all the |filename| links to the new syntax {filename} using find and sed.

> find src/ -type f -name '*.rst' -exec sed -i '' 's/|filename|/{filename}/g'  {} \+

This usage of sed is an example of in-place editing. Note that in this case I’m disabling the generation of backup files (using -i) because the source of this website is kept under revision control with git.

Adding plugins

Updating the render_math plugin made me take a look at the pelican-plugins repository on github. After looking over all the plugins I decided to add the neighbors and summary plugins. To use the neighbors plugin I had to change the templates for the article and index pages.

In the future, I might add the pelican_comment_system plugin.

For comments, please send me an e-mail.

Related articles

←  Enjoying the sunshine Writing the README first  →